Our history here at Grace Baptist Church is rich with the heritage of self sacrifice and God’s power to to turn a small group of believers into a vibrant growing Light in our community.
The Story of Grace Baptist Church 1943-1992
Under the leadership of Dr. G. Dallas Faulkner, our church voted to become united with the Southern Baptist Convention. They joined with the Port Chicago Church forming the Golden Gate Association in 1943.
The church was located on B street and was incorporated under the name of Oroville Missionary Baptist Church . The Articles of Faith were voted on to be accepted. At this time, Elmer Sloan was the pastor.
On September 23, 1945, the church bought a lot on Brown Street and Oro Vista Ave. (now Oro Dam Blvd.), for the purpose of erecting a new building. In January of 1946 the first service was held in the new building. The name of the church was changed at this time to Grace Baptist.
In 1946 the church started cooperating with the Sierra Butte Baptist Association and the California Southern Baptist Convention. The church also organized a mission in Susanville and helped organize the Gridley Church.
On March 11, 1951, property was bought at A Street and Palermo Rd. (now Myers St .). The building had been used as a drug store and electrical shop, so there was much work to be done. The first building was sold to the Cannery Union. A mission was also started at Quincy .
In 1951 the church saw an educational building built, the chapel remodeled and a mission started in Thermalito. The church sponsored a radio program on Sunday mornings called, “The Message of Grace,” in 1952.
In 1960 the church organized a mission in Palermo . In April 23, 1961, under the leadership of Pastor Hugh Morgan, 4 ½ acres with a house was purchased by the church on Highway 40A (Now Oro Dam Blvd. E ) Our church entered into the Broadway Bond Plan to build a new building at this site.
The ground breaking for our present location at Oro Dam Blvd. and Acacia was on April 12, 1964. There were several members who were also working on the Oroville Dam. They, along with others in our church worked quite hard to build the very “best” facility possible. Our first service was held November 8, 1964 and have continued to this day.